As we approach the beginning of the fall semester, we are pleased to announce our August programming schedule, shaped by community feedback and requests:
1. Better Together: Maple League Teaching Support (Tuesdays & Thursdays 11 EDT, 12 ADT)
2. Maple League Hosts & Wednesday Special Interest Sessions
3. August Edition: Developing Our Courses Together Online Remotely (DOCTOR) (Times and Dates below)
4. Asynchronous content from our June and July programming
5. V_MLTLC Resource Guide
To view the August 2020 – Virtual Maple League Teaching and Learning Centre Events Newsletter as a PDF, click here.
Better Together: Maple League Teaching Support
Continuing on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the month of August, the ‘Better Together: Maple League Teaching Support’ series brings together faculty, staff and students from across the Maple League; these sessions provide teaching support, foster communities of practice, and a create spaces to collaborate and work through challenges related to teaching during the COVID-19 pandemic. All sessions are an hour in length and begin at 11:00 am Eastern / 12:00 noon Atlantic. They can be accessed by clicking: https://bluejeans.com/8198229605
• Tuesday, August 4: Course Planning I: The Story of Your Course hosted by Jarislowsky Visiting Scholar Dr. Heather Smith (UNBC)
• Thursday, August 6: Course Planning II: Constructive Alignment hosted by Jarislowsky Visiting Scholar Dr. Heather Smith (UNBC)
• Tuesday, August 11: Teaching Tips for a Successful September hosted by the MLTLC
• Thursday, August 13: Tech Tips hosted by Keagan Hawthorne (Mount Allison)
• Tuesday, August 18: Community Care in the Digital Sphere hosted by Johannah Black and Emma Kuzmyk (St. FX)
• Thursday, August 20: Continuing the Conversation about Anti-Black Racism hosted by Wendy Mackey, Dr. Ornella Nzindukiyimana and Dr. Ronald Charles (St. FX)
• Tuesday, August 25: Anti-Racism in Academic and Community Spaces: Navigating turbulent waters hosted by Maritza Fariña, Dr. Juan Carlos Martínez, Ivan Okello and Hala Nader (Mount Allison)
• Thursday, August 27: Student-Centred Course Design, a panel of OLTC Project Coordinators (Bishop’s)
Maple League Hosts & Wednesday Special Interest Sessions
On Wednesdays beginning at 11:00 am Eastern / 12:00 noon Atlantic, join us for a variety of programming – panels, conversations, and Q&As– of interest to our community. All sessions are an hour in length and can be accessed here: https://bluejeans.com/8198229605
August 5: Special Interest Session: STEM Office Hours with the Director of the V_MLTLC and Bishop’s University Online Teaching and Learning Consultants.
August 12: “Maple League Hosts”: The Joy Quotient: How SoTL can help make teaching better than before. Join the 2020 Canadian Recipients of the International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (ISSoTL) Fellowship: Dr. Patrick Maher (Dean of Teaching, Nipissing University), Dr. Mandy Frake-Mistak (Educational Developer, York University) and Melanie Hamilton (Educational Development Specialist, Lethbridge College) for a session on how integrating the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning into your critical reflective practice can improve your classroom for Fall 2020 and beyond.
August 19: Special Interest Session: Social Sciences & Humanities Office Hours with the Director of the V_MLTLC and Bishop’s University Online Teaching and Learning Consultants.
August 26: Special Interest Session: Education & Business Office Hours with the Director of the V_MLTLC and Bishop’s University Online Teaching and Learning Consultants.
August Edition: Developing Our Courses Together Online Remotely (DOCTOR)
The onset of the pandemic has led to significant changes in how we work. Some of us will be transitioning our courses online for the first time, while others will be doing a combination of online and face-to-face teaching. Through the Virtual Maple League Teaching and Learning Centre (V_MLTLC), we have created a shared quiet space to work on designing, developing, and preparing your courses for the upcoming academic year.
After a successful DOCTOR series in July, we are pleased to offer this program again in August. We will meet twice a week, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, in August. Both current and new participants are invited to join us for the month of August.
For the first week of the DOCTOR program, we will attend the Maple League Better Together sessions hosted by Dr. Heather Smith. For the rest of the month, we will meet in a shared MS Teams space from 8:30-10:30 (Eastern)/9:30-11:30 (Atlantic). At the start of each, we will share what we plan to work on that day. We will then turn our mic’s off and work (the chat function will still be available if questions come up). In the last 30 minutes of the time that we have booked, we will turn our microphones back on and debrief about what went well and what we found challenging in our course development.
• Tuesday, August 4: Course Planning I: The story of your course with Dr. Heather Smith.
11:00-12:00 (Eastern)/12:00-1:00 (Atlantic), https://bluejeans.com/8198229605
• Thursday, August 6: Course Planning II: Constructive Alignment with Dr. Heather Smith
11:00-12:00 (Eastern)/12:00-1:00 (Atlantic), https://bluejeans.com/8198229605
• Tuesday, August 11: DOCTOR Session #1, 8:30-10:30am (Eastern)/9:30-11:30am (Atlantic), Microsoft Teams
• Thursday, August 13: DOCTOR Session #2, 8:30-10:30am (Eastern)/9:30-11:30am (Atlantic), Microsoft Teams
• Tuesday, August 18: DOCTOR Session #3, 8:30-10:30am (Eastern)/9:30-11:30am (Atlantic). Microsoft Teams
• Thursday, August 20: DOCTOR Session #4, 8:30-10:30am (Eastern)/9:30-11:30am (Atlantic), Microsoft Teams
• Tuesday, August 25: DOCTOR Session #5, 8:30-10:30am (Eastern)/9:30-11:30am (Atlantic), Microsoft Teams
• Thursday, August 27: DOCTOR Session #6, 8:30-10:30am (Eastern)/9:30-11:30am (Atlantic), Microsoft Teams
To register for the DOCTOR program, please email Erin Austen at firstname.lastname@example.org before August 4.
Asynchronous Content from our June and July Sessions
In case you were unable to attend some of our Better Together series from June and July, we have compiled asynchronous content of some of the key takeaways from the following sessions:
• July 16: Ask Us Anything about Anti-Black Racism in Education: Creating a Safe Place to Have Questions Answered hosted by Wendy Mackey, Ornella Nzindukiyimana, and Ronald Charles (St. FX): https://youtu.be/oWf90D83JXE
• July 15: “Maple League Hosts”: A Panel of the Four University Presidents and the Role of Collaboration in PSE. The four university presidents discuss higher education in the context of COVID and beyond: https://youtu.be/Kr_pY-iGmxQ
• July 8: Maple League Student Success Panel on High-Impact Practices (HIPs). Panelists Tiffany MacLennan (Wallace Fellow), Jessica Riddell (Executive Director, Maple League), Heather Carroll (Director, V_MLTLC), and Krista Steeves (Director of Experiential Learning, Mount Allison) discuss HIPs in the light of COVID: https://youtu.be/hMw3GND38ls
• July 2: Integrating Experiential Learning into Your Course with Jennifer Lussier (Project Lead, RIIPEN), Charlene Marion (Experiential Learning Coordinator, Bishop’s), and Tiffany MacLennan (Student, St. FX): https://youtu.be/7wX-u4QUDaw
• June 30: Design Principles for Teaching Online hosted by Dr. Toni Roberts (Mount Allison): https://youtu.be/RYdxm3hNSPo
• June 25: Managing Presence Online hosted by Dr. Robert Lapp (Mount Allison): https://youtu.be/bCa8ARSfFc0
V_MLTLC Resource Guide
Join the V_MLTLC in contributing to a grassroots, open-access Resource Guide about Teaching and Learning. Due to community readership and participation, this guide continues to grow and serve as a resource for teaching and learning across our four campuses. All are welcome to contribute resources that they have found helpful to their teaching and student learning using the forms embedded in the guide. Check it out here.