Dr. Jessica Riddell assumed the role as the Executive Director of the Maple League of Universities on July 1, 2018.
The Executive Director is responsible for steering the various initiatives amongst Maple League schools related to teaching, research, educational leadership, and student recruitment with a particular focus on enhancing the academic reputation of the four universities.
Dr. Riddell works closely with the four university presidents to set Maple League strategy and objectives, and facilitates a number of committees and working groups to implement the Maple League Five-Year Strategic Plan.
She oversees the process of major communications, identifies external funding opportunities, allocates budgets to operating committees, supports logistics and planning for Maple League events, supports research collaborations amongst faculty and administrative leaders, and leads the Maple League Teaching and Learning Centre to support excellence in undergraduate teaching across the four universities.
When appropriate, Dr. Riddell engages in public-facing activities and projects (e.g. OpEds, public scholarship, keynote speaking events, etc.) in order to advocate for more equitable funding for primarily undergraduate universities.
Executive Director’s Reports:
- July 1, 2019 – September 30, 2019 Quarterly Report
- October 1, 2019 – December 31, 2019 Quarterly Report
- January 1, 2020 – March 31, 2020 Quarterly Report
- Maple League Progress Report – May 2020
- Maple League Year End-Report (2019-2020)
- Executive Director’s Report – July 31, 2020
- Executive Director’s Report – August 31, 2020
- July 1, 2020 – September 30, 2020 Quarterly Report
- Executive Director’s Report – September 30, 2020
- Executive Director’s Report – October 31, 2020
- Executive Director’s Report – November 30, 2020
- Executive Director’s Report – December 18, 2020
- October 1, 2020 – December 31, 2020 Quarterly Report
- Executive Director’s Report – January 31, 2021
- Executive Director’s Report – February 28, 2021
- Executive Director’s Report – March 31, 2021
- January 1, 2021 – March 31, 2021 Quarterly Report
- Executive Director’s Report – April 30, 2021
- Executive Director’s Report – May 31, 2021
- High Impact Practices Report – June 2021
- Executive Director’s Report – June 30, 2021
- April 1, 2021 – June 30, 2021 Quarterly Report
- Maple League Year-End Report (2020-2021)
- Executive Director’s Report – July 2021
- Executive Director’s Report – August 2021
Dr. Jessica Riddell is a Full Professor of Early Modern Literature in the English Department at Bishop’s University (Quebec, Canada), specializing in early modern dramatic and non-dramatic literature. Dr. Riddell was awarded the 3M National Teaching Fellowship in 2015, the first recipient of the award at Bishop’s University and the youngest recipient in the national award’s 34 year history. She holds the Stephen A. Jarislowsky Chair of Undergraduate Teaching Excellence at Bishop’s University; in this capacity, she explores innovative teaching and learning practices, creates mentorship opportunities for students and faculty, and participates in a wide range of consultations at the national and international levels.
Dr. Riddell is also the Executive Director of the Maple League of Universities, a consortium of four universities – Bishop’s, Mount Allison, Acadia, and St. Francis Xavier – that share a focused commitment to quality undergraduate education. She works across the four universities to support high impact practices as part of a 21st century liberal education. She engages in public-facing activities and projects, including as an active contributor to public scholarship through her work as a columnist for University Affairs Magazine, as a keynote speaker at international conferences, and sits on a number national and international boards, including the Future Skills Research Advisory Board (Social and Emotional Skills – SES), and a member of Future Skills Talent Council.
Watch Dr. Riddell talk about the importance of teaching excellence: